File associations lost

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: File associations lost

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:You download Linux Mint and when you run it to install, you select dual boot or some such wording. It will partition your machine as needed and install itself. I do think you have to download the ISO file and make a DVD or boot flash drive with it.

Reason why I suggest Mint is it has a very M$ Windows like interface. Not hard for someone not that familiar with Linux to learn the basics. If you are doing heavy duty system stuff, it can get a little tricky, but the basic stuff that most people do, it is quite easy for someone used to Windows.
I put up a fair amount of videos on YouTube and run Sony Vegas Movie Studio for my editing. I wonder if it would work with Linux? I need to go into my slave drive and delete some files as it is nearly FULL and it is a 1TB drive...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

gcdonner wrote: I put up a fair amount of videos on YouTube and run Sony Vegas Movie Studio for my editing. I wonder if it would work with Linux? I need to go into my slave drive and delete some files as it is nearly FULL and it is a 1TB drive...
You would have to find the free video editing software for Linux and learn to use it. It often is better than other software that you have to pay for, but at times it is not and harder to work. I have not used any so I could not speak to it directly from experience. I could ask a few of my Linux friends what they use.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Interesting read for someone considering or using Mint.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... dition.htm
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:Interesting read for someone considering or using Mint.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... dition.htm
I think I am going to experiment with my wife's laptop...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Robert, did you ever look at Solus? That's a new linux distro put together by Ikey Doherty, an open source engineer working for Intel's Open Source Technology Center. If I'm correct he was responsible for starting the original Mint project.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

lesterb wrote:Robert, did you ever look at Solus? That's a new linux distro put together by Ikey Doherty, an open source engineer working for Intel's Open Source Technology Center. If I'm correct he was responsible for starting the original Mint project.
I got sidetracked and wasn't able to edit this any more. But I'm not suggesting this for George. I think Mint is a great choice for him. But Solus shows real promise. It standardizes on Gnome and is based on Debian, if I remember correctly. I've got it running on my laptop in the VmWare Player. I haven't tried the latest version, but they are looking at some interesting developments, like totally separating the OS from the Apps, so that you can update either without breaking the other.

https://www.gadgetdaily.xyz/solus-opera ... interview/
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:Robert, did you ever look at Solus? That's a new linux distro put together by Ikey Doherty, an open source engineer working for Intel's Open Source Technology Center. If I'm correct he was responsible for starting the original Mint project.
Not familiar with that one. I will read up a bit. Thanks for the link.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Robert wrote:
Not familiar with that one. I will read up a bit. Thanks for the link.
Here's a better link... https://solus-project.com/home/
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Well, Windows did it again. I had to restore my system twice yesterday as a result of a recent MS update that eliminated one of my display drivers so that only one of my monitors was recognized and all the settings for the desktop were modified, including resolution. I have now turned off updates completely and plan on doing the Linux thing this weekend. My worst fear is not finding drivers for printer, scanner,etc. I had just re-installed my security software too, so it got deleted in the restore, which means another install and I only have a couple left...
Do any Microsoft programs run on Linux, like Word and Powerpoint? I have an abundance of files in those formats, including my book which I am updating and re-editing for the umpteenth time. Will they at least be able to be converted to the compatible programs in Linux? I also have a file folder belonging to my son that is mostly MS Word.
And most important of all, what about all my video files? I have over 600 edited videos for YouTube as well, many in wmv format, some in mp4.
HELP!
What would happen if I just continue to run Win7 without doing any further updates? Do I assume correctly that Linux is not constantly updating like Windows does?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Linux will install LibreOffice by default. It can read the .doc and .docx files easily. You can save them in that format or convert them in the LibreOffice open document format.

Linux can read any Windows format, but you will not be able to use any software made for windows. Sometimes, software has a Windows and Linux version. If so, then you can download the Linux version and run it. More often then not, the Linux community has created free software that will do the same thing that paid for Windows software does.

Again, search the internet for your printer model number and add linux drivers after it. You will find out if it can run on Linux that way before you do an install.
0 x