File associations lost

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: File associations lost

Post by Neto »

George,
I just dealt with another case of where all of the program shortcuts switch to another program, Adobe Photoshop, or maybe the Photo Viewer in this case. (I didn't pay a lot of attention to what they were set to.) In all of the cases I've seen, however, the systems are completely off-line, so there are no updates to blame for it. Also, in every case the Administrator account file associations were fine. In no case has anyone ever been able to say "OK, I did so-and-so and bang it messed up." In the past I have tried using all sorts of "fixes" described on the internet, including Microsoft Fix-It executables, but none has ever fixed the problem. But in every case a System Restore point from before the problem occurred has ALWAYS fixed the problem. So I suspect that your problem is not something I have ever seen, because as I recall (from the discussion on the old forum), all of your user accounts were messed up, and creating a new one did not fix it.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote:George,
I just dealt with another case of where all of the program shortcuts switch to another program, Adobe Photoshop, or maybe the Photo Viewer in this case. (I didn't pay a lot of attention to what they were set to.) In all of the cases I've seen, however, the systems are completely off-line, so there are no updates to blame for it. Also, in every case the Administrator account file associations were fine. In no case has anyone ever been able to say "OK, I did so-and-so and bang it messed up." In the past I have tried using all sorts of "fixes" described on the internet, including Microsoft Fix-It executables, but none has ever fixed the problem. But in every case a System Restore point from before the problem occurred has ALWAYS fixed the problem. So I suspect that your problem is not something I have ever seen, because as I recall (from the discussion on the old forum), all of your user accounts were messed up, and creating a new one did not fix it.
System restore would fix it, then as soon as the windows updates were done over, the problem was back and there wasn't enough memory attached to the restore to be able to get past it after two days. I did a full install of Win 7 and now am having a different issue being caused by a Windows "critical" update. I have stopped all updates now after doing 3 system restores in 2 days and losing downloaded programs again.
My next step is Linux...this weekend.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

OK< OK>OK so I went to download the Linux program but there are a multiple different sights to download it from and no way for this novice to know which one to use? I did download one the other day from I think it was Linux Freedom, but my wife's laptop doesn't boost from the disc, even after setting the parameters to boot from DVD/CD. I am wondering if I got a bad download or? Any help would be appreciated. I was trying to get this done this evening in preparation for doing my main pc after trying the Mint Cinnamon on the laptop, which is currently running Win 7.
The download site speaks of mirrors and verifying the ISO image, which is all Greek to me...HELP!?
I am looking to simplify and seem to just be getting deeper in.
I think I will just go vote for Hillary or something like that.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Go to https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and chose 32 or 64 bit cinnamon. Then choose the mirror closest to you.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

32 or 64 bit?
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Thanks guys, I think my problem first time around was that I was using the 64 bit that I downloaded for my PC and the laptop is 32 bit. We shall see soon...I hope.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:Go to https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and chose 32 or 64 bit cinnamon. Then choose the mirror closest to you.
I used the Mate version on my older laptop. Works easily. Boys use it for home school every day.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:
lesterb wrote:Go to https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and chose 32 or 64 bit cinnamon. Then choose the mirror closest to you.
I used the Mate version on my older laptop. Works easily. Boys use it for home school every day.
Now I need the laptop to turn back on...or turn off whichever it is not doing, just a black screen at the moment...ugh.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

gcdonner wrote: Now I need the laptop to turn back on...or turn off whichever it is not doing, just a black screen at the moment...ugh.
Hold the power button in for 5 seconds. It should power down.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Now I need the laptop to turn back on...or turn off whichever it is not doing, just a black screen at the moment...ugh.
Hold the power button in for 5 seconds. It should power down.
I just learned something new. Thank you
0 x