NAS - Network Attached Storage

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

NAS - Network Attached Storage

Post by Neto »

Anyone have recommendations?
(Option is to use a router that has a USB port, and plug an external HDD into that. Thoughts?)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Re: NAS - Network Attached Storage

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Neto wrote:Anyone have recommendations?
(Option is to use a router that has a USB port, and plug an external HDD into that. Thoughts?)
Synology.

I started using them as backup devices for my clients, but they have a lot of apps available as well. I'm planning on buying one myself to replace my home server. Even though they appear to be chintzy they work well and seem to rarely have problems. Right now I monitor and manage over a dozen of them from 2-drive units to 16 drive rack mounts.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Synology.

I started using them as backup devices for my clients, but they have a lot of apps available as well. I'm planning on buying one myself to replace my home server. Even though they appear to be chintzy they work well and seem to rarely have problems. Right now I monitor and manage over a dozen of them from 2-drive units to 16 drive rack mounts.
Are most of them limited to Raid 1?
0 x
:hug:
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:
Synology.

Are most of them limited to Raid 1?
No. RAID 1, 5, 6, 10 and their own hybrid RAID which uses different sized drives in the array.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I had good experiences with a Synology NAS. Not so good with a soho router.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I was wondering if someone could answer this question I have about these NAS systems. If the device itself fails (not the drive), can you install the drive in another NAS and retrieve the files? (I did a test by copying some files onto one, then removed the drive & connected it to the SATA on a word processor, and the partitions are not assigned drive letters, and I could not find any way to give them drive letters. So a direct connection will not allow file retrieval.) I THINK I did turn off encryption - I know I saw the setting in the set up process - but now I'm not positive. Have you all ever done any of this type of testing on one of these systems?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.