network boosting

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: network boosting

Post by Soloist »

nett wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:25 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:16 pm
nett wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:01 pm

Could you string it aerially?
Better not string a copper wire aerially. It would act as a lightening rod.

On second thought, maybe having one's computer equipment blown up would be a blessing in disguise?
It would be insulated, weatherproof.
Thats why I referenced the powerline. You can run signal through a powerline. Otherwise I'd have to have someone else do it, I'm not mucking with that powerline and stringing something. The other side was my landlord doesn't want more holes put in the house. Wireless is the best way and I'd consider a outdoor mesh if money wasn't an issue. I think the directional antenna is the best option but I'm not sure how bad the signal loss would be through the walls.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I have installed some of the network antennas, and they will connect through glass w/ no issues. So if there are windows in the house & garage that face one another w/o any trees or bushes in the way, then that should give a pretty decent connection. The places where I've set these up are where a business has building on either side of the road, and in one place, it goes pretty far, although not any where near the distance they are rated for. (some say 7 miles, others 15, but you have to have a clear line of sight.) I have a pair that I was going to use to get internet up to my shop from our house (almost 1/4 mile), but there are some tall evergreen trees between the two locations.

Another option would be tethering off of your cell phone, if it's a smart phone. (I have cell service from Red Pocket, and get unlimited everything for what comes to about $20.00 a month. I only rarely tether to it, because they don't like that, and so I use it only for emergency situations, like when our internet was down for a week. I had to purchase an additional app in order to do it, a one-time $10.00 purchase.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Soloist wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:04 pm
nett wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:25 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:16 pm
Better not string a copper wire aerially. It would act as a lightening rod.

On second thought, maybe having one's computer equipment blown up would be a blessing in disguise?
It would be insulated, weatherproof.
Thats why I referenced the powerline. You can run signal through a powerline. Otherwise I'd have to have someone else do it, I'm not mucking with that powerline and stringing something. The other side was my landlord doesn't want more holes put in the house. Wireless is the best way and I'd consider a outdoor mesh if money wasn't an issue. I think the directional antenna is the best option but I'm not sure how bad the signal loss would be through the walls.
Signal loss will entirely depend on what the wall is made of. If it's all wood, with wood siding. you will have no issues. If it's steel or aluminum siding, then it depends on a lot of factors.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

This is what I would do. If you have an absentee landlord I would personally just do it and make sure your work is neat and professional. If it is someone who lives next door then obviously you need to ask permission.

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

What’s the distance to the garage? You might be looking at point to point antennas. The ones I know are a bit expensive, but I just read this the other day: Point-to-point Wi-Fi bridging between buildings—the cheap and easy way. It might be useful to you.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:30 pm This is what I would do. If you have an absentee landlord I would personally just do it and make sure your work is neat and professional. If it is someone who lives next door then obviously you need to ask permission.

Reminds me of how we did a test drilling before installing the well in the village. We actually went down 24 meters with plastic pipe, but pumping water down through the pipe. (Then we drilled the well using the same basic theory, except that we were drilling an 8 inch hole, and used 1 1/4" steel pipe with an auger on the end. This was all done by hand, except for the pump forcing the water down the pipe. I think we quit at 25 meters, although I wish we had gone down a bit more.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

Pelerin wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:43 pm What’s the distance to the garage? You might be looking at point to point antennas. The ones I know are a bit expensive, but I just read this the other day: Point-to-point Wi-Fi bridging between buildings—the cheap and easy way. It might be useful to you.
This is what I was referring to as well - uni-directional antennas by Ubiquiti (called Ghost Bridge).
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Neto wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:38 pm
Pelerin wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:43 pm What’s the distance to the garage? You might be looking at point to point antennas. The ones I know are a bit expensive, but I just read this the other day: Point-to-point Wi-Fi bridging between buildings—the cheap and easy way. It might be useful to you.
This is what I was referring to as well - uni-directional antennas by Ubiquiti (called Ghost Bridge).
Seemed like a decent idea but the cost combined with the aluminum garage + aluminum house make it seem impractical. I do get 20mbps with the door open, it drops to 2-3mbps with it closed. I don't know what I can specifically do, I suspect a strong enough antenna would work... this is a little like expecting your cell phone to work in a lead lined room (mine did funnily enough)
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Soloist wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:29 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:38 pm
Seemed like a decent idea but the cost combined with the aluminum garage + aluminum house make it seem impractical. I do get 20mbps with the door open, it drops to 2-3mbps with it closed. I don't know what I can specifically do, I suspect a strong enough antenna would work... this is a little like expecting your cell phone to work in a lead lined room (mine did funnily enough)
They can connect through glass windows, if there are any in both building facing one another. OR, maybe there would be some place there is room to sneak a wire out, where you could mount it on a pole outside.

I understand the owner not wanting to have more holes through the walls, etc. My wife's family has a few apartments, and every time someone moves out the cable company just takes the sat dish head, and leaves the base. Then the next installer avoids using the existing base, and installs a new one. It can cause roof leaks, and it's unsightly besides.
I suggested to my brother-in-law that he mount a permanent platform on the roof, and then not allow any thing to be mounted any place other than on that platform.
Or maybe there are some old holes he would consent to allow you to reopen - if they've been caulked shut.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Neto wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:42 pm
They can connect through glass windows, if there are any in both building facing one another. OR, maybe there would be some place there is room to sneak a wire out, where you could mount it on a pole outside.

I understand the owner not wanting to have more holes through the walls, etc. My wife's family has a few apartments, and every time someone moves out the cable company just takes the sat dish head, and leaves the base. Then the next installer avoids using the existing base, and installs a new one. It can cause roof leaks, and it's unsightly besides.
I suggested to my brother-in-law that he mount a permanent platform on the roof, and then not allow any thing to be mounted any place other than on that platform.
Or maybe there are some old holes he would consent to allow you to reopen - if they've been caulked shut.
No windows, honestly unless I get hired by a tech company for remote work, its not worth spending the money on.
0 x