Linux tinkering

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Linux tinkering

Post by lesterb »

Joy wrote:So Linux probably wouldn't be a good choice for a non-geek like me? I rely heavily on printing.

It's just that Windows 10 seems too invasive to me.
Do you have a friend or relative who can help you get started? It's mostly getting set up properly and over the first hurdle. After that, it's just a computer. But there is a bit of a learning curve like there is in anything new.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:
Joy wrote:So Linux probably wouldn't be a good choice for a non-geek like me? I rely heavily on printing.

If you have modern stuff it usually works out of the box, so don't worry about it, provided you use a pretty mainstream distribution (like Ubuntu Linux).
Hi Josh, have you tried Peppermint? It's a light distro based on Ubuntu and intended for a Chrome OS replacement. Use Google docs, etc. You can use LibreOffice too, but for older hardware it would be great.

I've been playing a bit with Solus as well. It's a distro built from scratch [except the kernel] and I thought it seemed to be pretty good. But the last release seemed a bit more difficult. Had do command line configurations for my monitor resolution [1920 x 1080, which is really standard].

But I always end up back in Windows.
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

lesterb wrote:

Do you have a friend or relative who can help you get started? It's mostly getting set up properly and over the first hurdle. After that, it's just a computer. But there is a bit of a learning curve like there is in anything new.
Yes, I do have a friend who uses it. I'm sure he'd be willing to help me, since I look after their chickens and dog when they're gone. :)
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I haven't really tinkered with any boutique distributions in a while. I spend most my time on CentOS 6.8 and occasionally on CentOS 7 and Debian 7 (testing).
0 x
Joy

Post by Joy »

Well, I finally got Ubuntu to work. The 14 and 16 versions refused to work properly, so tonight my friend came over with the 18 version--Optic Beaver, or something. Watching him, I knew I wouldn't have been able to make the choices required, so am grateful for a geek friend.

So far it's working great, thank the Lord.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Joy

Post by Joy »

Make that "Bionic Beaver." I am now in the learning curve :shock: trying to figure out if my BB OS is rpm or deb, or none of the above, so that I can download my Brother MFC-J470DW driver. Oh, brother! One more problem with my printer....

And some videos won't play, either, including some on MN.

I have figured out a few snags on my own, but precious few.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Joy wrote:Make that "Bionic Beaver." I am now in the learning curve :shock: trying to figure out if my BB OS is rpm or deb, or none of the above, so that I can download my Brother MFC-J470DW driver. Oh, brother! One more problem with my printer....

Should be Deb. Hook it to Google Print. Printers are always a pain in Linux unless you have an older HP LaserJet or DeskJet.
0 x
Joy

Post by Joy »

lesterb wrote:
Joy wrote:Make that "Bionic Beaver." I am now in the learning curve :shock: trying to figure out if my BB OS is rpm or deb, or none of the above, so that I can download my Brother MFC-J470DW driver. Oh, brother! One more problem with my printer....

Should be Deb. Hook it to Google Print. Printers are always a pain in Linux unless you have an older HP LaserJet or DeskJet.
Thank you! I looked up driver directions on Brother, downloaded the driver, and my friend sent her hubby over to figure out what I couldn't--which was most of it. It was indeed deb, and he got it working. I gratefully told him I'll look after their chickens for the rest of his life, then amended it to "the chickens' lives." ;)

Thank the Lord my computer prints now!
0 x
JoshScott

Post by JoshScott »

We've been running Linux at home for many years now and are giddy happy with it. I have been most happy with Debian. I don't know why people continue to be afraid of it. It 'just works' out of the box and is very easy to install. I will never go back to Windows with its new telemetry spying, subscription model, forced upgrades, onerous privacy policy, etc., etc.

We haven't had much trouble printing, although its true some printers work better than others. My sister has an obscure Canon inkjet printer. She called me and said, how do I get this working? I said "Plug it in". She did. It said "printer configured". She sent a test page and off she went. We have two HPs at home that both work great. Nowadays, HP and Brother have drivers available on their websites if CUPS drivers aren't already included. Or, you can just print to most printers using IPP. I like how CUPS finds wifi printers easily as well. If its on and on the network, it will appear and can usually be configured with the click of a button. And I don't have any of the problems I used to have with the Windows spooler, so I guess I'm pretty happy with CUPS.

In recent years, I have setup more friends and family on Linux and they continue to use it and almost never call me for help! My great nephew has been using Zorin OS (a Windows-like distro) for years on his older laptop (which now runs like new with Linux) and loves it. My sister-in-law is happy with Linux Mint on a Dell Laptop.. She got "Moneydance" software to replace Quicken and loves it. My niece Goldy uses LXLE on a Sony laptop and loves it, with no issues. Now my cousin's wife and children are using Linux Mint on a Dell Laptop and find it so much more stable and secure than Windows. They used to be skeptics and thought it would be hard to learn.

I took a short free course online called LFS101 from the Linux Foundation. It was really helpful in helping me fill in the blanks in my knowledge. With Linux, it's just a matter of doing things a little bit differently. I highly recommend this course to anyone who doesn't want to continue using Windows.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

0 x