Linux tinkering

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Linux tinkering

Postby lesterb » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Joy wrote:So Linux probably wouldn't be a good choice for a non-geek like me? I rely heavily on printing.

It's just that Windows 10 seems too invasive to me.

Do you have a friend or relative who can help you get started? It's mostly getting set up properly and over the first hurdle. After that, it's just a computer. But there is a bit of a learning curve like there is in anything new.
0 x
When a man's ways please the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Pro 16:7 ESV)

lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Postby lesterb » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Josh wrote:
Joy wrote:So Linux probably wouldn't be a good choice for a non-geek like me? I rely heavily on printing.

If you have modern stuff it usually works out of the box, so don't worry about it, provided you use a pretty mainstream distribution (like Ubuntu Linux).

Hi Josh, have you tried Peppermint? It's a light distro based on Ubuntu and intended for a Chrome OS replacement. Use Google docs, etc. You can use LibreOffice too, but for older hardware it would be great.

I've been playing a bit with Solus as well. It's a distro built from scratch [except the kernel] and I thought it seemed to be pretty good. But the last release seemed a bit more difficult. Had do command line configurations for my monitor resolution [1920 x 1080, which is really standard].

But I always end up back in Windows.
0 x
When a man's ways please the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Pro 16:7 ESV)

Joy

Postby Joy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:30 pm

lesterb wrote:

Do you have a friend or relative who can help you get started? It's mostly getting set up properly and over the first hurdle. After that, it's just a computer. But there is a bit of a learning curve like there is in anything new.
Yes, I do have a friend who uses it. I'm sure he'd be willing to help me, since I look after their chickens and dog when they're gone. :)
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Josh

Postby Josh » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:50 pm

I haven't really tinkered with any boutique distributions in a while. I spend most my time on CentOS 6.8 and occasionally on CentOS 7 and Debian 7 (testing).
0 x

Return to “Tech Talk”