Tech Frustration

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Tech Frustration

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:51 am
Grace wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:37 am Make sure you are logged in before attempting to post anything. After a period of time, you will need to re-log in. I usually post from a laptop and not a phone.
I view this site using about four devices, but only login on maybe two. Never had an issue getting kicked off.
I don't consider it as "being kicked off". I always assumed that after period of no activity, you are automatically logged off.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Reminds me of an old joke.
Jesus and Satan have a discussion as to who is the better programmer. This goes on until they come to an agreement to hold a contest, with God as the judge. They sit themselves at their computers and begin. They type furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for hours. Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity.

Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over. He asks Satan to show what he has come up with. Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out."

Jesus enters a command, the screen comes to life in vivid display, and the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers. Satan is astonished. God smiles all-knowingly, "Jesus saves."
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:13 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:00 pm
Nowadays it’s hard to even find a working printer. Let alone a fax.
Couldn't tell you the last time I seen a fax actually send or receive.
I couldn't say when either, but it wasn't that long ago - I do service work for Amish-owned businesses....
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Can you post a link to the Daniel Kauffman post you're trying to search?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Pelerin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:40 pm Can you post a link to the Daniel Kauffman post you're trying to search?
Presumably this one:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1289&p=34676#p34676

Not too hard to find if you know who posted it and what year, but it helps that MattY doesn't have thousands of posts (not that I'd mind if he did).
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:17 pm Reminds me of an old joke.
Jesus and Satan have a discussion as to who is the better programmer. This goes on until they come to an agreement to hold a contest, with God as the judge. They sit themselves at their computers and begin. They type furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for hours. Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity.

Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over. He asks Satan to show what he has come up with. Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out."

Jesus enters a command, the screen comes to life in vivid display, and the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers. Satan is astonished. God smiles all-knowingly, "Jesus saves."
o.this brings back memories. SAVE SAVE SAVE was a continual mantra.
before? - smartphones? i’m not sure.

i use an older ipad: (rarely an iphone, too small)

copy+paste before submitting can help.
“save draft” before submitting can help.

if GENERAL ERROR is around, i sometimes cooy+paste to another location, even email to myself, to save work.

presently, i have frequent success with hitting the back option before accepting that discouraging blank page means i lost my work.
(this was not always true.) now i try the back option before giving up on anything.

as oj describes, some searches have holes that do not deliver.
(i thought) MD was very good/reliable with simple word searches.

in the past, the system seemed more spotty in the wee hours of the night, i guessed the system was “cycling.”
i don’t often post at those times anymore, so, not sure about it. it would kick you off, lose posts, etc.

in the past, and now, when i lose posts i try to accept, God didn’t want that post, trust in Him, and move on.
not meant for others, but, i post too much anyway. i try to keep perspective on it.

i’m glad MattY inquired. i expect others have similar questions. many read but rarely/never post.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN