Win 10 work around

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Win 10 work around

Post by gcdonner »

I have an older scanner, an Epson V550 Photo that I haven't used for a while and now I have it hooked up to my computer, running Win10 and it won't be recognized even with updated drivers, etc. This unit has been discontinued by Epson. I want to use it since it has capabilities to do slides and negatives.
Any ideas on how I can work around the Win10? It was last run on a Win7 machine.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Win 10 work around

Post by Neto »

I didn't recall that Windows 10 ever offered a Windows 7 Mode, and apparently (based on a quick search) they didn't. (I was thinking that perhaps they did, since Windows 7 had an XP Mode you could install as an option, which created an XP installation inside of Win 7, and it could push the programs out to Win 7.)

I have a similar situation, but one step farther back. I have an HP 4570c scanner with a module that you lay on the scanner screen, and plug in at the back, to do negatives and slides. I bought it back in around 2003 or 4, and it will not install on Windows 7 - no drivers. I tried Vista drivers, but no go. So I keep an old XP computer going as well as this Win 7 system. (Also have an OS 10 system here in my office, but it is just the components laid out on the desk, no case.) Anyway, I "feel your pain".
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
wesleyb
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by wesleyb »

George, I have an Epson Perfection 1200U that I think is between 20 and 25 years old and I have it running on Windows 10. I found these instructions here: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardw ... -10-a.html
Maybe you can find something here that would apply to yours. The only problem I had was for a while every major windows update would remove the driver and I had to go through all the steps to reinstall, but the last several updates have left it alone.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:19 pm I didn't recall that Windows 10 ever offered a Windows 7 Mode, and apparently (based on a quick search) they didn't. (I was thinking that perhaps they did, since Windows 7 had an XP Mode you could install as an option, which created an XP installation inside of Win 7, and it could push the programs out to Win 7.)

I have a similar situation, but one step farther back. I have an HP 4570c scanner with a module that you lay on the scanner screen, and plug in at the back, to do negatives and slides. I bought it back in around 2003 or 4, and it will not install on Windows 7 - no drivers. I tried Vista drivers, but no go. So I keep an old XP computer going as well as this Win 7 system. (Also have an OS 10 system here in my office, but it is just the components laid out on the desk, no case.) Anyway, I "feel your pain".
I might just find a Win7 computer to run it, since I have a lot of vintage negatives to convert, as well as slides. Thanks
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

wesleyb wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:17 pm George, I have an Epson Perfection 1200U that I think is between 20 and 25 years old and I have it running on Windows 10. I found these instructions here: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardw ... -10-a.html
Maybe you can find something here that would apply to yours. The only problem I had was for a while every major windows update would remove the driver and I had to go through all the steps to reinstall, but the last several updates have left it alone.
I have already run the driver updater from this forum and it didn't work for me. Thanks
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

:oops: :oops: :oops: I found my problem was not related to Win10. I had run the suggested drivers updater and that was appropriate, but my real problem was that I didn't have the USB cable plugged in properly...That's what happens when you try to do it by feel while reaching over your monitor while seemingly standing on your head.
Thanks for all the help. My scanner is now working and helping me to bring back family photos from the 30s that haven't seen the light of day or any of my siblings eyes for more than 60 years. Some interesting things to see...
Thanks again
2 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

gcdonner wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:11 pm :oops: :oops: :oops: I found my problem was not related to Win10. I had run the suggested drivers updater and that was appropriate, but my real problem was that I didn't have the USB cable plugged in properly...That's what happens when you try to do it by feel while reaching over your monitor while seemingly standing on your head.
Thanks for all the help. My scanner is now working and helping me to bring back family photos from the 30s that haven't seen the light of day or any of my siblings eyes for more than 60 years. Some interesting things to see...
Thanks again
Reminds me of a service call I did to install a printer once. The secretary had it all set up, with the USB cable "connected" in the rear of the printer. The installation program could not find the printer. I finally pulled the (big & heavy) All-in-One out away from the wall, and the USB cable was actually "plugged" into the network port. (It DID fit in there pretty well...)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:29 am
gcdonner wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:11 pm :oops: :oops: :oops: I found my problem was not related to Win10. I had run the suggested drivers updater and that was appropriate, but my real problem was that I didn't have the USB cable plugged in properly...That's what happens when you try to do it by feel while reaching over your monitor while seemingly standing on your head.
Thanks again
Reminds me of a service call I did to install a printer once. The secretary had it all set up, with the USB cable "connected" in the rear of the printer. The installation program could not find the printer. I finally pulled the (big & heavy) All-in-One out away from the wall, and the USB cable was actually "plugged" into the network port. (It DID fit in there pretty well...)
Exactly!
0 x